Seeing your little one in pain, discomfort and upset from too much wind is really tough. It can break your heart so in the following post I will explore the best ways to minimize any gas and reflux issues while feeding.
There are actually many different formulas for gassy babies on the market that can reduce and ease the discomfort.
What Causes a Gassy Baby?
The ingredients in many formulas can lead to side effects in a little ones sensitive stomach. Side effects include being overly gassy and also diarrhoea.
The majority of formulas are based on cows milk and there are many babies who are sensitive to this.
In some instances the type of bottle you use can cause the gas. When suckling they can often intake a lot of air bubbles which can cause discomfort and gas.
Switching your bottle could be a simple solution if you haven’t already tried that.
Best Formulas for Gassy Babies Available
Enfamil ProSobee Soy Infant Formula, Powder
- Soy-based alternative to milk-based formula-milk-free, suitable for infants with lactose intolerance and dairy-free-great for families with special dietary concerns like lactose sensitivity or families who follow vegetarian or Kosher diets
- Soy for sensitive tummy; helps reduce fussiness and gas due to sensitivity to milk-based formulas
- Enfamil ProSobee has the same DHA as Enfamil® routine formula, shown to foster a child's learning ability up to age 5*
- Conveneint Ready to Use Bottles
Enfamil Prosobee is a soy based alternative that is completely free of cows milk and lactose. As mentioned the majority of formulas are based on cows milk which can be what causes the gas.
This formula can be used up to 12 months of age and will meet the nutritional profile your infant needs.
Enfamil Prosobee has crucial nutrients required to develop cognitive function including DHA and choline. The blend of vitamins is designed to promote a healthy immune system.
This formula comes at a premium price but if your baby is suffering after trying many alternatives then give this one a try. It could be the one that works!
Enfamil Nutramigen with Enflora LGG Infant Formula, Powder
- Fast relief NOW. Fewer allergy challenges LATER
- Starts to manage colic in as early as the first feeding, with 90% of infants improving within 48 hours*+
- Clinically demonstrated to help reduce future allergy challenges
- Helps babies return to consuming milk protein without an allergic response
- For newborn it is 0-3 months
Enfamil Nutramigen is a hypoallergenic formula that is lactose and sucrose free.
Studies have shown that this formula can combat colic fast with 90% of infants improving within 48hours.
In addition it has been clinically shown to reduce any future allergy challenges as well. How? Well this formula helps your baby’s immune system develop to tolerate milk proteins, meaning you can switch back to other formulas sooner.
Along with being hypoallergenic this formula also has a probiotic to improve digestion and reduce any gas in the intestines.
Enfamil Nutramigen is suited to newborns aged 0-3 months.
3. Similac Sensitive Infant Formula with Iron, For Fussiness and Gas, One Month’s Supply, Baby Formula
Similac Sensitive Infant Formula with Iron, For Fussiness and Gas, One Month's Supply
- Similac Sensitive Infant Formula is a milk-based formula for your baby's first year that is specially designed for fussiness and gas due to lactose sensitivity
- NUTRIENTS: Features OptiGRO, our exclusive blend of DHA, Lutein and Vitamin E, special nutrients found in breast milk that are important for helping support baby's brain and eye development - TRUSTED: Similac is the #1 infant formula brand chosen by moms* and the #1 brand fed in hospitals (*total US infant formula all outlets as of 12/31/16, Nielsen data)
- QUANTITY: When mixed as directed, one 34.9 ounce can makes approximately 43 six fluid ounce bottles
Similac Sensitive is similar to the Enfamil Gentlease but a bit more affordable.
This is a milk based formula but it is designed using a unique carbohydrate which can help to reduce gas in infants.
A complete formula this uses OptiGRO which is a blend of DHA, lutein and vitamin E all of which are important nutrients in breast milk. This formula offers a complete nutrient profile.
It must be noted that Similac Sensitive is not suitable for babies with galactosemia.
Enfamil PREMIUM Non-GMO Gentlease Infant Formula, Powder
- The first and only Infant Formula to have both the amount of brain-nourishing inositol and DHA* found in Breast Milk.
- Unique Triple Health Guard blend that has 30 nutrients for growth, twice the Omega-3 DHA as the other leading brand†, and vitamins & minerals to support immune health
- Enfamil PREMIUM Gentlease Infant Formula brand is also recommended by pediatricians 2x more than the competition. ‡
- Closer to breast milk than ever before¶
Enfamil Gentlease is a milk based formula but has significantly lower levels of lactose than other formulas.
Gentlease uses 30 nutrients for growth including significantly high amounts of omega 3 DHA.
This formula uses an easy to digest protein blend which is already partially broken down making it very easy on sensitive stomaches.
Enfamil Premium Gentlease Infant Formula is made with an easy-to-digest protein blend that’s been partially broken down & is gentle on your baby’s tummy.
Gerber Good Start Infant Formula Gentle Non-GMO Infant Formula Powder, Stage 1, 32 Ounce
- 32.0 Ounce container - Makes 56, 4 Fluid Ounce bottles
- Stage 1, birth-12 months: Modeled after the complete nutrition and gentleness of breastmilk with Comfort Proteins, small proteins for little tummies that are easy to digest
- Our closest formula to breastmilk and is the only powder infant formula with a blend of DHA, prebiotics & probiotics, important components found in breastmilk
- Non GMO: Not made with genetically engineered ingredients
- Gerber is a leader in infant and early childhood nutrition. Have questions? We are awake when you are 24/7: 1-800-284-9488
Gerber Good Start is a non GMO formula that can be used from newborns to 12months.
The difference with Gerber is that they manufacture their formula using easy to break down proteins (comfort proteins) from 100% whey protein.
As well as offering a complete nutrient profile they also had prebiotics and probiotics which are important compounds found in breastmilk.
Specifically, Gerber Good Start uses probiotic B. lactis which is supportive to digestive health and immunity.
6. Earth’s Best Organic Low Lactose Sensitivity Infant Formula with Iron, Omega-3 DHA & Omega-6 ARA, 23.2 Ounce
Earth's Best Organic Low Lactose Sensitivity Infant Formula with Iron, Omega-3 DHA & Omega-6 ARA, 23.2 Ounce
- Easy-to-digest organic formula for baby's first twelve months for babies with sensitive stomachs
- Reduced lactose milk-based powder formulation for easy digestion; our closest formula to breast milk, no added corn syrup solids
- Omega-3 DHA and Omega-6 ARA fatty acids naturally found in breast milk to support brain and eye development, Iron for healthy development
- Easy to digest and nutritionally complete with lutein for eyes and prebiotic fructooligosaccharides for immunity*
- Kosher; no artificial flavors, colors; Made without prohibited synthetic pesticides and fertilizers
Earths Best Organic Low Lactose Formula that can be used from newborn to 12 months.
This formula has 95% less lactose when compared with standard baby formulas meaning if your little one has a sensitive stomach then try this.
The formula is also fortified with iron, DHA and ARA which are all essential nutrients found in breast milk. In addition there is also lutein as well as prebiotics.
Free of any corn syrup Earths Best Organic Low Lactose Formula is non GMO, organic has no artificial flavors or colors and is made without synthetic pesticides and fertilizers.
As a growing baby their stomachs can be very sensitive. They may go in and out of phases of sensitivity and others may suffer from allergies, gas and reflux. A simple solution can be changing the type of formula you use. Through trial and error you can find what works best for your little one.