Baby monitors can be hacked, there are many incidences where this has, sadly, occurred. Are there more secure baby monitors than others? Yes! In the following post I will explain how baby monitors are hacked and what the most secure baby monitors are!
How are Baby Monitors ‘Hacked’
Via Hidden Accounts
Within baby monitors there are ‘hidden accounts’ which are essentially a back door into the system. These are used by support staff and administrators of the company you bought the monitor through. It may seem like a secure system but to a hacker getting in through this portal can be easy.
Security Flaws- No Encryption and Default Passwords
If you use WiFi to access your baby monitor via a smartphone or tablet then you are at risk. Internet connections offer the ability for passwords to be hacked via the serial number of the device.
You want to change any passwords that come with the device and make them secure. Use a password generator if you are unsure of a complex password. The harder the password the harder it is to hack.
What are the Most Secure Baby Monitors?
Levana Baby Monitors
1. Levana Jena Digital Baby Video Monitor with 8 Hour Rechargeable Battery and Talk to Baby Intercom
Levana Jena Digital Baby Video Monitor - Talk to Baby Intercom
- Private, secure ClearVu digital wireless signal
- 8+ hour rechargeable battery
- Power-saving PEEP mode
- 15ft Automatic night vision
- Talk to Baby two-way communication
Levana equip all their cameras with a ClearVu signal developed and used only with Levana. This is a closed circuit or digital monitor meaning no one can see the camera video aside from the user. I recommend the Levana Jena but there are many other models by this company.
Digital Baby Monitors
Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor with Interchangeable Optical Lens
31 used from $ 90.71
- First-ever monitor with interchangeable optical lens capability - allowing you to customize viewing angle and zoom
- Large 3.5 inches full color lcd display in sleek, compact unit with retractable antenna, with sound-activated led display
- Remote pan, tilt and digital zoom
- Long battery life,10 hours on power-saving mode, 6 hours with screen on
- One optical zoom lens included
A digital monitor cannot be viewed on smartphones, tablets and anything that needs a WiFi connection. This makes them much safer than other cameras using a WiFi network.
There are many digital baby monitors on the market but I highly recommend the Infant Optics DXR8. This is a popular choice amongst many parents looking for a reliable and secure baby monitor.
In a nut shell this is a closed circuit camera system that is virtually hack-proof.
Nest Cam Security Camera
Nest Security Camera, Keep An Eye On What Matters to You, From Anywhere
14 used from $ 130.64
- DON'T MISS A THING WITH NEST ALERTS: Whether the kids just came home from school or the dog has decided to eat those new pillows you just bought; the Nest Cam sees it all! Get alerts through your Nest App whenever the camera detects movement and activity. And the coolest part is that the Nest Cam can tell the difference between movement from say a hand getting into a cookie jar, and a person entering a room. Person Alerts and Activity Alerts can help keep your home safe even if you aren't there.
- BE HEARD WITH NEST: Nest Cam Indoor has a built-in speaker and mic, so you can hear what's happening at home. Or tell the dog to get off the couch.
- SET IT UP ANYWHERE: The compact size of the Nest Cam makes installation a breeze. Nest Cam Indoor's stand works in all kinds of homes, on all types of surfaces. Set it down on something flat, like a table or shelf. The Nest Cam has a built-in magnet so you can stick it to something metallic. Use the removable wall plate to attach Nest Cam to a wall. Or you can unscrew the camera from the base and attach it to any standard tripod mount.
- WORKS WITH NEST: Nest has worked hard to design thoughtful devices to help keep you safe and secure. Nest devices not only communicate with each other but also with the other smart devices around your home. Your Nest Secure can use your smart light bulbs to help get your attention in the event of an emergency; your smart washer and dryer can take the data from Nest and run the next load of laundry when energy demand is low. Look for the Works with Nest badge and let Nest handle the rest.
- THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE A NEST HOME: We love home. It's the best place in the world. But not everything inside our homes is lovable. Some things beep at us; fail without warning; keep us in the dark. There are things we've learned to ignore. We think these things should do more. Nest is focused on making simple, human, delightful things. That's how we're creating the thoughtful home: A home that takes care of the people inside it and the world around it.
The Nest Cam is actually a home monitoring unit but can also work as a stationary baby monitor. This system uses WiFi to connect to your smart device for remote viewing.
There have been a few tests where people have failed to hack their live, online feed. It is possible for others to take the files stored within the system, however, they need to take the camera completely.
In terms of being hack proof, this is the best choice although it may not be the best baby monitor choice. You will need to pay for a subscription with the company as well as experience slight delays.
This also means you don’t have the pan, tilt and rotate options nor the other features specific to a baby monitor. If you are happy with that though then the Nest Cam is a good choice.
Ways to Increase the Security of Your Baby Monitor
There are a few ways you can increase the security of your baby monitor so let’s take a look.
- Buy a New monitor as opposed to a second hand monitor
- Register your monitor with the company, this means you will be informed of security updates and software updates
- Change the password if there is one. Use a very challenging password, the more difficult the harder it is to hack.
- Secure your home WiFi connection
- When not in use, turn off your baby monitor.
Install a FireWall
You can check if your router is secure and you can install a firewall, have a professional do this if you are unsure.
That way you can create an extra wall of security between your home WiFi and any devices using it.